There are two Suzuki 100-hp, i.e., 100-horsepower, outboards: the Suzuki DF100A and the Suzuki DF100B . They are both 100-horsepower outboards and are distinguished by a single letter. Let’s go into detail with these two engines from Suzuki Marine.
Suzuki 100 hp outboards: Suzuki DF100A and Suzuki DF100B
In the 100-hp outboard segment Suzuki offers two models with the same power output.
Who are the 100 hp outboards for? This power is definitely suitable for those with wheeled vessels. They are motor boats with small footprints that facilitate handling and in storage. 100-horsepower engines in Italy require a driver’s license.
Suzuki DF100A and Suzuki DF100B: differences
Suzuki 100-hp outboards are two: Suzuki DF100A and Suzuki DF100B and have the same power output. For the same level of technology on each, power is delivered differently. Why? Because these two Suzuki outboards have different thermal units. This makes it possible to better accommodate the needs of each boater.
The Suzuki DF100A is better at low rpm due to a slightly longer foot ratio, such that it is recommended for use on larger displacement boats, as well as work units.
The Suzuki DF100B outboard gives its best in the midrange and high rpm range precisely because of the smaller displacement. With smaller footprint and lighter weight, it is among the best 100-horsepower outboards for power-to-weight ratio on the market
Outboard Suzuki DF100A
The Suzuki DF100A has a 2,044 cc engine, the same aluminum monoblock with 4L architecture that is also used in the range for the larger models, Suzuki DF115A and Suzuki DF140A.
Features of the Suzuki DF100A
- EFI, that is, multipoint electronic injection
- DOHC timing system, i.e., the twin-shaft with 4 valves per cylinder, driven by chain and not belt – a peculiarity that greatly increases its reliability and reduces maintenance costs to zero
- The drive shaft offset from the crankshaft. This contributes to the compactness of the outboard, shifting the DF100A’s center of gravity forward. This provides a better balance on the transom, effectively splitting the overall reduction in speed between the crankshaft and propeller shaft into two distinct stages.
Outboard Suzuki DF100B
The DF100B’s thermal unit is 1,502 cc-it is the same machine that powers Suzuki’s DF70A, DF80A and DF90A models-with an in-line four-cylinder architecture and a 16-valve timing system with dual overhead camshafts, again chain-driven.
Features of the Suzuki DF100B
- It is equipped with an electronic management system capable of supervising its instant-by-instant operation, injection system, ignition, etc.
- Easy Start System, Suzuki’s simplified starting system, which does not require you to keep the key turned until the engine is started: just turn the key and release it, because the system will make the starter motor run automatically, until the engine is running.
Suzuki outboard technology
We said before that Suzuki 100-hp outboards are very technological. Here are the main technologies available
- The first system to be mentioned is the Suzuki Lean Burn or “lean burn system.” It is a system that can calculate fuel requirements based on driving conditions, feeding the cylinders with a leaner air-fuel mixture. If a normal gasoline outboard operates with an air-fuel ratio (stoichiometric ratio) of 14.7:1, a lean-burn system can vary this ratio up to 18:1, achieving a significant increase in efficiency. from about 1,500 to 5,000 rpm the Lean Burn system comes into operation, reaching its maximum value at about 4500 rpm.
- The Water Detecting System is a system consisting of a filter placed on the fuel circuit, inside which a sensor acts to warn of the possible presence of water in the fuel, through a warning light and an audible warning. Through it, problems such as poor combustion, lower power availability and corrosion are avoided.
- Sistem Suzuki Anti Corrosion, also available in the rest of the range. Based on the use of a special film that coats every metal part of the outboard. Several coats of epoxy primer, acrylic paint – Nebular Black or Engine White – and clear “Topcoat” coating, also acrylic, are then applied over this. This increases the life of the engine and protects every part of it, especially those most exposed to saline. This special finish ensures maximum adhesion of the coating to the aluminum alloy surface, with which the engine is made, creating an effective barrier against corrosion.
Suzuki Troll Mode System
Both the DF100A and DF100B can be equipped with the Suzuki Troll Mode System, designed for trolling. Thanks to this technology, the minimum speed of the boat can be adjusted simply through a button and not with the throttle and gear monolever. A “user friendly” solution where you simply press the control switch in Troll mode to adjust the idle speed in 50 rpm intervals from 650 up to 1,200. In this way, fine adjustments can be made depending on the situation and conditions.